Source: Five Star Cooking at Home by Johnny Prep
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 2 stalks carrots peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- 5 pounds ground chuck
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves, crushed
- 2 can (11 ounces) kidney beans
- 3 can (11 ounces) tomato peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cups chicken stock or boullion
- 3 tablespoons salt to taste
- Preheat dutch oven size pan to medium heat. Place olive oil, onion, carrots and celery, jalapeno pepper, habanero pepper (Please wash hands thoroughly with soap and water after handling hot peppers. Do not touch sensitive areas of you body. These peppers will burn you badly if not treated with respect.) and garlic in pan and sauté over medium high heat until onions are slightly brown. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Clear a space in the middle of the pan and put in tomato paste. Let tomato paste sit there and brown for 2-3 minutes. Then stir ingredients until incorporated.
- Add beef to pan and sauté until beef is brown. Keep pressing beef with a spoon to break it up into small pieces. Season aggressively with salt and pepper.
- Add chili powder, bay leaf, oregano and cumin and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, kidney beans, chicken stock and any water needed to cover ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and let cook for 45 minutes. Remove cover and adjust salt and pepper to taste. Add water or continue to simmer uncovered to adjust chili to preferred thickness. Be careful to not add final salt adjustment until after reduced to desired thickness.
- Enjoy this warm, hearty and delicious three pepper chili recipe!