Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Ready after: minutes
Difficulty Level: 2
Source: Five Star Cooking at Home
- 1 5-8 inches round brie cheese
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry sheet, defrosted
- 4 ounces button mushrooms sliced thin
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup roasted pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium size skillet melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and saute until they develop light brown carmelization, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add the last tablespoon of butter and sun-dried cherries to pan. Keep stirring slowly until cherries start to puff up and soften. Stir in pine nuts and remove from heat.
- Using a long serrated knife, slice cheese in half so that you have 2 rounds that are half the thickness of the original.
- Roll out puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to a large enough size to encase cheese. Place one half of the brie cut side up in middle of pastry. Pour the mushroom, pine nut and sun-dried cherry mixture on top of cheese. Mound it carefully so none falls out onto pastry. Top with the other half of the cheese, cut side down.
- Whisk beaten egg and water in a small bowl to be used as an egg wash.
- Take the 4 corners of the pastry and fold it over the top of the cheese. Use egg wash as a glue to hold pastry together. Repeat process with new corners that were formed. Pull pastry taught and turn over onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush rest of pastry with egg wash until whole exterior surface is lightly coated.
- Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes or until crust is beautifully golden brown. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes prior to serving.