Preparation Time: 2 hours
2 1/2 cups water, warm but not over 110 degrees
3 tablespoons yeast
19 ounces bread flour
13 ounces whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 whole bell pepper, chopped
3/4 cup onions, finely chopped
3/4 cup pepperoni, sliced into strips
3/4 cup ham, diced small
1 tablespoon dried oregano, crushed
10 thin slices Provolone cheese
3/4 cup pasta sauce of your choice
1 1/2 cups Mozzarella cheese, coarsely shredded
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon milk
1. Place water and yeast together in the bowl of your mixer. Stir and let sit for 3 minutes. Add both flours, oil and salt and process in your mixer on the second speed with a dough hook for 10 minutes. Remove from mixer. Brush surface of dough with olive oil. Place back in bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in the warmest part of you kitchen for 1 hour.
2. Remove dough from bowl and cut into 3 pieces. Roll them each into a ball. Plastic wrap 2 of the balls and freeze for a future use.
3. Place olive oil in a sauce pan on medium heat and sauté peppers, onions, pepperoni, ham and oregano until onions are soft and translucent. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Roll out the ball of dough into a large rectangle approximately 18″ x 14″. Layer Provolone, then sauce, then Mozzarella, then vegetable and meat mixture and spread evenly over center of dough, leaving 2 inches of dough uncovered on each end you are going to roll from.
5. Roll up dough and using 2 large spatulas transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
6. Make thin slice marks on top of dough with a sharp knife without cutting all the way through the dough. Whisk together egg, egg yolk and milk thoroughly into an egg wash. Brush dough liberally with egg wash.
7. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 35 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.