Preparation Time: 30 minutes
2 large Spanish onions, cut into 1/2″ to 1″ rounds
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon Frank’s Red Hot Sauce or your favorite hot sauce
1 cup flour
4 large eggs, whipped thoroughly with a fork
2 cups seasoned panko bread crumbs
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups vegetable oil for frying
1. In a large bowl soak onions in buttermilk and hot sauce for 30 minutes.
2. Set up a breading station with flour in one bowl, eggs in the second bowl and bread crumbs in the third bowl. Use flat bowls or plates for the bread crumbs and flour. Take one teaspoon of the salt and sprinkle it on the flour and eggs and mix.
3. Drain onion rings from the buttermilk. Dip the rings in the flour and shake of any excess. Then dip the ring in the eggs and thoroughly coat it with egg wash. Then place them in the bread crumbs and press bread crumbs on the onion rings by applying firm pressure with your hands. Use one hand for the wet ingredients and one hand for the dry ingredients.
4. Place coated onion rings in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to let the eggs set up.
5. Preheat oil in a large frying pan to medium high heat. If you place one ring in the oil and the oil doesn’t sizzle immediately than the oil isn’t hot enough and you should wait a few more minutes.
6. Fill pan with rings but do not crowd. This is done in batches (or you can use a deep fryer). When one side is golden brown turn onions over and cook until the second side is golden brown.
7. Remove from hot oil and place on paper towel to drain. Season immediately with a sprinkling of salt.