Preparation Time: 30 minutes
1 1/2 pounds flat iron steak
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon sea salt
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 garlic clove, peeled
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup olive oil
4 large slices sourdough bread
1 large beefsteak tomato, cut into slices
1. To make pesto place all ingredients except olive oil in a food processor and process until finely ground. Then slowly add olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Brush steak with olive oil. Sprinkle on salt and pepper. Rub pepper into steak thoroughly.
3. Heat a grill or grill pan to medium high heat. Sear meat on both sides. Remove steak from direct heat and cover. Continue to cook for 8 minutes (if using a grill pan, place pan in the oven on 350 degrees).
4. Remove steak from pan or grill and let rest for 5 minutes.
5. Toast bread on grill or grill pan.
6. Cut steak across the grain on a slight angle or bias. Place a layer of steak on a toast slice. Top with beefsteak tomato slices. Season tomatoes lightly with salt and pepper. Place a dollop of pesto on each tomato slice.