Yield: 24 Preparation Time: 45 minutes
1 3/4 cups masa harina (or one pound of fresh masa if available)
1 1/8 cup hot water
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Mix masa harina with water and allow to stand for 30 minutes.
2. Knead in other ingredients thoroughly. Divide into 12 bowls. Using plastic wrap flatten each ball into a disk that is about 3/8″ thick.
3. Heat a large frying pan or griddle to medium. Place sopes on flat top and cook for 2 minutes per side or until they have a nice light brown.
4. Split each sope in half like an English muffin, then press the undercooked dough from the center to the sides, forming a cup with a 1/4″ border. Place on a sheet tray and cover with plastic until used.
5. Deep fry or bake until golden brown. Top with fillings of your choice.