Preparation Time: 30 minutes
4 large soft shell crabs
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons Paul Prudhomme’s Redfish Magic (or your favorite cajun seasoning)
vegetable or canola oil for frying
4 large sourdough bread slices, cut into 2 inch squares
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1. Cut crabs in half and soak in buttermilk for 15 minutes.
2. Mix flour and Cajun seasoning in a bowl and set aside.
3. Brush sourdough bread with olive oil and toast in a panini press or on a grill pan until nice grill marks are evident.
4. Drain crabs and coat heavily with the seasoned flour.
5. Preheat a frying pan with 1/4 inch of frying oil over medium high heat. When oil is hot place crabs in the pan and fry until brown and crispy on both sides. Remove to a paper towel to drain.
6. Mix mayonnaise mustard in a small bowl.
7. Place a crab half on top of a slice of toasted bread and drizzle with Dijon mayo. Top with one more slice of bread.