Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Ready after: 25 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
Source: Johnny Prep
- 1 lbs. fresh ahi tuna
- 1 tsp vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 large head bib lettuce
- .5 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 2 large navel oranges
- 2 Tbsp seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp roasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp black or white sesame seeds
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
NOTE: Pull tuna out of the fridge 20 minutes before preparing to bring fish closer to room temperature.
- Clean and thoroughly dry the lettuce and toss with chopped basil.
- Preheat a pan over high heat. Pour oil into pan and let heat up for 30 seconds or so.
- Season tuna with salt and pepper. Sprinkle a coating of sesame seeds on the large surfaces of the tuna and press them into the fish.
- Place tuna in pan and sear on each side for 60 seconds. Remove from pan and let rest while you make the rest of the salad.
- Slice the top and bottom of the oranges off so you can clearly see the spoke pattern of the segments inside. Moving your knife in the same direction as the segments complete the peeling of the orange. While holding the orange over a bowl to catch the juices, remove each segment with any of the pith attached.
- Squeeze the remaining orange pith to extract as much juice as you can into the bowl. Move the supremes or segments into another bowl, leaving the juice to continue making the dressing.
- Whisk in the sesame oil, sugar, seasoned rice wine vinegar, and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Toss the dressing with the lettuce. Start with half the dressing and add more to taste.
- Place lettuce servings on plates. Garnish with goat cheese chunks. Sliice tuna in .25 inch slices, cutting accross the grain. Fan out an equal amount of tuna slices on each salad. Garnish with goat cheese chunks, and sprinkle with remaining sesame seeds.