Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 2 pounds
1 pounds sugar
12 ounces corn syrup
3/4 cup water
12 ounces pine nuts
1 ounce butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Lightly oil a marble counter top or slab.
2. Combine the sugar, corn syrup and water in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar and make a syrup.
3. Boil the syrup until the temperature reaches 250 degrees. Add the pine nuts and the butter.
4. Continue to boil until the mixture reaches 315 degrees. Stir constantly and gently to prevent burning the bottom.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla, salt and baking powder. Do this carefully.
6. Pour the mixture onto the marble counter. Using an oiled, long, thin cake spatula, spread the mixture out pushing the pine nuts in the middle towards the edge. Let cool thoroughly. Break into pieces and store in an airtight jar.