Preparation Time: 30 minutes
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup onions, diced
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
4 cups tomatoes, cored and cut into large chunks
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup chicken stock, bouillon or broth
1 pound shrimp, 21-25 count, peeled and deveined
4 whole Florida Red Snapper fillets
flour for dusting
2 cups tortellini, cooked
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Parmesan cheese curls and chives for garnish
1. Place two tablespoons olive oil in a Dutch oven-size pot on medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, pepper flakes and fresh herbs. Sauté until onions are soft and translucent but not brown.
2. Add the tomatoes, sugar, and the balsamic vinegar and stir pot. Cook for 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock and cook for 10 more minutes. Place the pot in your sink, and using a stick blender purée the mixture. Return back to stove and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Add shrimp and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 more minutes. Season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Season fish with salt and pepper. In a large sauté pan bring 1 tablespoon of olive oil up to medium high heat. Dust fish lightly in flour and place in pan. Sauté for 3-4 minutes per side.
5. Place tortellini in a bowl and top with one fish fillet and a ladle of the shrimp arabbiata. Garnish with Parmesan cheese curls and chive spears.