Servings: 4 Preparation Time: 0:30
1 cup long grain rice
2 cups chicken broth
1 Tsp. olive oil
1 cup onion finely chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. red pepper
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. garlic clove, minced
2 can (15 oz) red beans
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp. butter
1 lbs. Andouille (or kielbasa) sausage, sliced
— into rounds on a bias
4 ounces baby arugula
1 Tbsp. extra virgin oilive oil
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
1. Place rice in a small pot and cover with water. Stir with a spoon until
water is cloudy and then drain the water. Add the 2 cups of water or the amount specified on the manufactures package, along with the salt and the 1 tsp. of olive oil . Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to the lowest setting. Cover pot and cook for 12 minutes. Remove from heat and let steep for 5 more minutes. Remove lid, stir and set aside.
2. Place arugula in a small bowl. Toss with 1 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive
oil and season lightly with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Set aside.
3. Heat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. Spray pan with non-stick
spray. Place sausage in pan and cook through with slight grill marks. Remove from heat, cover pan, and set aside.
4. Place onions and olive oil in a medium sauté pan on medium heat. As onions begin to sauté, add the garlic and the rest of the herbs and spices.
Cook until onions are opaque and soft, stirring occasionally. Drain the red beans and add to the pan along with the chicken broth. Bring to a soft boil and reduce to simmer. Simmer for 3 minutes. Add the rice and the butter and stir until the butter is melted. Season to taste with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
5. Plate beans and rice with sausage slices fanned on top. Then finish with baby arugula.