1 loaf rosemary olive oil bread or French bread
1 cup spaghetti sauce
4 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/8 cup olive oil
1 cup red bell pepper, seeded and cut into long, thin strips
1 cup yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into long, thin strips
1/4 pound Shitake mushrooms, stems removed
1 teaspoon garlic clove, chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
1. Place the olive oil in a sauté pan and place over medium heat. Put peppers, mushrooms and garlic in pan and cook until wilted and showing signs of browning. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Slice loaf of bread in half lengthwise. Take top half and make a thin slice off the top so when you turn it over it will be stable. Place both halves on a foil-lined baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Place bread in pan with middle cut side up.
3. Spread sauce evenly over the two halves, then spread cheese over the two halves.
4. Spread the mushrooms and peppers over the two halves. You will need to double the sauce and cheese if using two loaves.
5. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes if desired.
6. Place in 400 degree oven until cheese is thoroughly melted. Remove from oven, slice and serve.