Serving Size: 8 Preparation Time: 20 minutes
4 cups chicken stock or canned chicken broth
1 pinch saffron threads
1/4 cup olive oil
4 pound whole chicken, cut into 10 pieces
1 pounds Kielbasa or smoked sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 cups onion finely chopped
3 tablespoons garlic clove, finely chopped
1 cup red bell pepper seeded and chopped
2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 cups white rice uncooked
1 pounds shrimp, 21-25 count, peeled and deveined
1 cup green peas, frozen
6 cups water, or as needed
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a glass bowl, add chicken stock and saffron and microwave for 3 minutes on high. Remove and let saffron steep into stock to impart color and flavor. Set aside.
2. Season chicken thoroughly with salt and pepper.
3. Preheat a large broad paella pan (a 14 inches or larger frying pan can be used, if you have neither use a dutch oven) over medium high heat. Add oil and wait for 1 minute.
4. Add chicken and brown until crispy on outside. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
5. Add sausage to pan and cook until nicely browned. Remove from pan and place with chicken.
6. Add onions, garlic, and red pepper to pan and saute until onions are translucent. Add herbs to pan and stir occasionally for 1 minute. Add rice to pan and continue to saute for 3 minutes.
7. Add 2 cups of stock saffron mixture to pan and bring to a boil.
8. Place chicken and sausage on top of rice. Reduce heat to medium.
9. Continue to cook until liquid is almost absorbed/evaporated and add additional 2 cups stock.
10. Continue to cook for 30 minutes, adding water in 2 cup increments as liquid continues to absorb and evaporate. Half way through cooking turn chicken over once.
11. After 30 minutes wait until liquid is absorbed again. Add shrimp and peas. Add last 2 cups of water. Make sure shrimp get submerged in liquid. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes. Test rice for doneness. If not done, add more water and cycle again.