Serving Size: 6 Preparation Time: 0:30 Cooking time: 2 1/2 hours
4 Tbsp. olive oil
3 lbs. veal shanks, osso bucco style
2 cups onions coarsely chopped
1 large sheets carrots, grated
1 stalk celery chopped
1 Tbsp. garlic clove, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary finely chopped
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
4 cups tomatoes, cored and cut into large chunks
1 cup white wine
1 cup chicken broth or stock
salt and fresh ground black pepper for seasoning
1 tsp. sugar
4 cups pasta, cooked al dente and tossed in olive oil
parmesan cheese curls for garnish
1. Preheat 5 1/2 quart pot or Dutch oven style pan on medium high heat.
Season veal lightly with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Add 2 Tbsp. of
olive oil and veal slices in the pan and sear until each side is thoroughly
browned. Take your time with this step, it adds a lot of flavor.
2. Remove veal to a bowl and add 2 Tbsp. olive oil, onions, carrots, celery,
garlic, rosemary, thyme, and Italian seasoning to the pan. Reduce the heat
to medium and cook until onions are soft and starting to brown, stirring
3. Add the tomato paste and bring temperature back up to medium high heat.
Constantly stir until tomato paste takes on a slightly brown hue, about 5
4. Deglaze the pan with the white wine and cook for 1 minute. Add the
tomatoes and the chicken broth along with the sugar and stir to incorporate.
Add the veal back into the pan and toss the ingredients.
5. Cover and place pan in a 325 degree oven for 2 1/2 hours. Remove the pan
from the oven and remove the veal. Using a fork and knife remove the veal
from the bones and chop the meat into small pieces. Take a stick blender
(you can use a food processor as well) and slighlty blend the tomatoe
mixture to make a thick but chunky tomatoe sauce. Add back the veal and
stir to incorporate. Simmer on low for 5 minutes
6. Serve ragu over warm pasta and garnish with cheese curls.