Preparation Time: 30 minutes
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 ripe mango, peeled , seeded, and diced
1 teaspoon chili flakes or to taste
1 large navel orange, peeled and cut into segments
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 pounds raw shrimp, 15-20 count, peeled and deveined
1 teaspoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
wooden shrimp skewers
1. Place wooden skewers in a bowl of water to soak for 20 minutes.
2. Place vegetable oil in a medium sauce pan on medium heat. Add mango, chili flakes and oranges. Season very lightly with salt. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until fruit softens and begins to break down.
3. Add vinegar and sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and pour mixture into a blender or food processor. Puree mixture. (Use care when processing hot liquids). Cover top with a towel and don’t over-fill vessel.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Preheat grill or grill pan to high heat. Place shrimp in a bowl and top with olive oil. Toss to coat, then season lightly with salt and pepper. Place shrimp on skewers.
7. Grill shrimp until they turn orange and are about half-way done (approximately 5 minutes). Brush glaze onto shrimp and cook 2 minutes per side longer. Brush a few more times with glaze when turning. Remove from grill and serve.