Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Serving Size: 8
2 cups mango peeled, seeded and puréed
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 cups milk
1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon Meyer’s Rum
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
8 egg yolks lightly beaten
Black Bean and Corn Salsa
1. Place mango purée in a bowl and stir in 1/4 cup of sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. Place milk, cream, sugar, rum and vanilla in a large sauce pan. Bring to a slow simmer over medium low heat.
3. Place eggs in a small bowl and whisk until smooth and eggs turn a lighter shade of yellow.Take 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture and very slowly drizzle it into the egg yolks while whisking quickly. This will temper the eggs so they don’t scramble and get hard.
4. Then slowly drizzle egg mixture into pan with cream mixture while whisking quickly as well.
5. Continue simmering cream mixture stirring slowly but constantly until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
6. Process this custard in your ice cream-maker according to the machines directions.
7. When ice cream is almost ready to remove from machine, add in mango and run machine to incorporate.
8. Complete processing, then place mixture in a container in the freezer for at least 4 hours before serving.