Preparation Time: 45 minutes
1/4 ounce gelatin
3 ounces key lime juice
2 1/2 ounces plain yogurt
2 ounces egg whites, beaten to a soft peak
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
4 1/2 ounces sugar
1 tablespoon corn syrup
2 tablespoon water
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon sugar
8 white chocolate eggs cups
1/2 cup candied lime peels
1. Sprinkle gelatin on lime juice and stir. Let bloom for 5 minutes. Place yogurt in a medium size mixing bowl and microwave for 45 seconds to make slightly warm.
2. Place gelatin in the microwave and heat on high for 45 seconds. Immediately whisk gelatin mixture into yogurt. Place bowl in another bowl with a little hot water to keep it warm and keep the gelatin from setting up.
3. Just before you start heating the sugar mixture described in the next step, place egg whites and cream of tartar in a mixer and whip on medium speed.
4. Mix sugar, corn syrup and water in a small pan. Turn heat on medium high. Brush sides of pan down with a pastry brush that is dipped in water without touching the mixture. Using a candy thermometer, check temp and ring it up to 230 degrees.
5. When temperature reaches 230 degrees turn the mixer up to high speed and finish the egg whites to a soft peak. Slowly sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of the sugar into the eggs whites. When the temperature of the mixture hits 250 degrees and the egg whites are at a soft peak, slowly pour hot sugar mixture into the mixer. Be careful when pouring the hot mixture so it doesn’t hit the bowl wall but it isn’t poured right onto the prongs of the whip either. Continue to whip the eggs in the mixture until they come down to about 100 degrees.
6. Quickly fold the egg whites into the yogurt mixture adding 1/3 at a time.
7. Clean mixer quickly and chill bowl using some ice and water. Wipe bowl clean. Add cream to the bowl and whip cream to soft peaks. Fold whipped cream into lime egg mixture 1/3 at a time.
8. Spoon or pipe mousse mixture into white chocolate cups and garnish with candied lime peels. Chill for 3 hours before serving.