Preparation Time: 45 minutes plus time for ice cream to freeze
2 cups milk
2 cups cream
1 vanilla bean, sliced in half lengthwise (you can substitute 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
9 ounces sugar
8 egg yolks
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup half and half cream
1/2 cup peanuts, chopped
cherries and mint for garnish
1. Bring milk, cream, and vanilla bean to a boil over medium high heat. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Scrape seeds from inside bean and stir into mixture. Remove the rest of the bean.
2. Whisk sugar into eggs until smooth and eggs turn light yellow in color.
3. While whisking quickly, very slowly add in cream mixture to temper eggs so they won’t cook.
4. Pour mixture back into pan. Bring mixture to a boil and immediately reduce heat to medium low. Reduce till mixture coats the back of a spoon or about 180 degrees.
5. Let mixture cool in refrigerator for 2 hours.
6. Place mixture in ice cream maker and process for 30 minutes or until ice cream is a soft but thick texture.
7. Remove and place in a storage container. Place container in freezer for an additional 4 hours.
8. Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds on high heat. Do the same in a separate container with the half and half. Pour the half and half over the chocolate and stir until all the chocolate is melted into a smooth sauce. If you need to you can microwave for another 20 seconds.
9. Place a dollop of chocolate onto a chilled plate. Top with peanuts and a scoop of ice cream.
10. Garnish with fresh cherries and mint.