Preparation Time: 90 minutes
1 large eggplant, peeled, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
3 large portabella mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick
2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
2 medium summer squash, thinly sliced lengthwise
2 large red bell peppers
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup olive oil
3 large tomatoes, cored and cut into large chunks
1 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cups chicken stock, bouillon or broth
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups Asiago cheese, grated
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (Reggiano if available)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Aggressively salt eggplant and place on plate for 15 minutes. Blot eggplant slices dry with paper towel.
3. Brush all vegetables EXCEPT tomatoes, 1 red pepper, and garlic with olive oil and lightly season with salt and pepper.
4. Grill vegetables on grill or grill pan until soft with nice grill marks (can use broiler, but watch carefully not to burn).
5. In a sauté pan, place 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium high heat. Add tomatoes, garlic, and basil. Saute until tomatoes are well broken down. Add more oil if pan gets to dry.
6. Once tomatoes are broken down, add 1 cup of chicken stock or broth. Bring to a boil and reduce until liquid thickens into a sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Place 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a sauté pan and over medium heat and add the other red pepper, the garlic, and the chopped onion. When vegetables start to sizzle, turn heat to medium low and cover for 10 minutes or until they are very soft. Remove cover and add 1 cup chicken bouillon or broth. Turn heat to medium high and reduce liquid in half. Move pepper mixture to a large food processor with a blade. Do not fill processor over 1/3 full. Always be careful when processing hot liquids; you can always do it in small batches. Process mixture until you obtain a smooth coulis (sauce). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. In a glass baking dish large enough to fit vegetables (this can also be done in individual tart pans as shown in picture), start layering vegetables like a lasagna. First place eggplant, then zucchini, then pepper, then squash. Cover with half of tomato sauce and half of both cheeses. Repeat this process, putting Parmesan cheese on last. Place dish in oven and bake on 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until nicely golden brown and bubbly. Let dish cool for 20 minutes before serving.
9. Cut into serving size pieces and decorate with red pepper coulis and some reserved mushrooms.