Preparation Time: 30 minutes
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 pounds asparagus spears, tough ends trimmed
1 medium Vidalia onion (or other sweet onion), cut into strips
1/4 pound mushrooms, sliced
3 ripe peaches, pitted and thinly sliced
8 cups mesclun or other mild salad greens
1/8 cup white balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
2 ounces goat cheese
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Drizzle one teaspoon of olive oil on the asparagus and season with salt and fresh ground pepper. Toss to coat evenly. Heat a grill pan to medium high heat. Grill asparagus until slightly soft and starting to brown. Remove, cut into 3 lengths and set aside.
2. Place one more teaspoon of oil in the grill pan and add the onions. Season with salt and pepper and saute until onions are soft and translucent and nicely browned. Toss occasionally. Remove and set aside.
3. Repeat this procedure with the mushrooms.
4. Check sweetness of peaches. If they are tart you can sprinkle a little sugar on them and macerate them for 10 minutes.
5. Toss salad and basil leaves with vinegar and balance of the olive oil. Season lightly with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
6. Stack salad on a plate and top with roasted vegetables, then peaches and then a dollop of goat cheese.