Preparation Time: 30 minutes
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 cups tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chicken stock or bouillon
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 whole eggs
1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh basil, finely chopped
8 slices Mozzarella cheese, cut 3/8″ thick, preferably buffalo milk
1 cup flour
1. To prepare the Marinara sauce first, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat.
2. Place olive oil in skillet along with onions. Cook until onions are soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook for one minute longer.
3. Add tomatoes and fresh basil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook tomatoes down for 10 minutes. Add chicken stock and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Puree the sauce until smooth with a stick blender or a food processor. Place sauce back in pan and keep on the stove’s lowest settings to keep warm.
4. Preheat a medium non-stick pan to medium high heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
5. Beat the eggs, tarragon and chopped basil in a small bowl.
6. Dust each slice of Mozzarella cheese buy dredging it lightly in the flour and shaking off the excess. Then dip the cheese in the egg wash and coat it by moving it back and forth and turning it upside down a few times. Place battered cheese in the frying pan. Cook until nicely browned on one side. Turn over and slightly brown the other side.
7. Place a ladle of the marinara sauce in a bowl. Top with 2 pieces of fried cheese. Garnish with slices of basil and serve with fresh slices of baguette.