Preparation Time: 40 minutes
14 ounces dark chocolate chips
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 pinch salt
1/4 teaspoon ancho chile powder (optional)
5 ounces egg yolks
13 ounces egg whites
4 ounces sugar
melted white chocolate for a garnish
1. Grease and flour either a half sheet pan or (3) 8 inch cake pans.
2. In a double boiler, melt together the butter, chocolate, salt and chili powder. Set aside.
3. Place the egg yolks in a moon bowl and whisk them aggressively until they are light and ribbony.
4. Using a large mixer with a whisk, whip the egg whites the cream of tartar. When the white starts to foam up nicely, rain in the sugar slowly. Whip to a firm moist peak.
5. As the whites are getting done, combine the yolks and chocolate mixture by folding the yolk into the chocolate. Do not overfold!
6. Just as the whites are ready, fold them into the batter.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes or until firm and a toothpick comes out clean.
8. After cooling, drizzle each piece with some melted white chocolate.