Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Serving Size: 6
3/8 cup olive oil
1 large sweet onion (like Vidalia), cut into strips
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 fennel bulb (white part), cut into strips
1/2 medium cabbage, shredded into thin strips
2 cans fire roasted tomatoes
6 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons liquid smoke, hickory flavor
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large soup pan sweat together over medium heat 1/8 cup olive oil, onions, fennel and garlic until they are soft and translucent.
2. Add cabbage to the pan and continue to sauté until cabbage is soft and tender as well. Add fire roasted tomatoes along with the juice in the can. Continue to cook for 10 minutes until tomatoes start to break down into a sauce.
3. Add broth to pan and stir.
4. Get a small frying pan very hot over high heat and add the rest of the oil. Add the flour and continuously stir (be careful, splatters of this hot oil really burn) until the flour takes on a color of light brown.
5. Remove pan from heat and place under a trickle of water in the sink and stir in enough water to make into a thick sauce. Stir this mixture back into the soup in the pot.
6. Add liquid smoke and taste to balance salt, pepper and smoke flavor.
7. Simmer soup for 30 minutes.