Preparation Time: 30 minutes
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon onion, chopped fine
6 whole black peppercorns
2 tablespoons white wine or cider vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1 stick unsalted butter
1 pinch ground white pepper
1 small squirt Tabasco, or a pinch of cayenne
1. Place the egg yolk in a small bowl and beat until smooth. Set aside.
2. Place the onion, black peppercorns, vinegar and water in a small stainless steel pan and bring to a slow boil. Reduce this liquid down to 2 tablespoons or approximately in half. Strain the mixture and let cool slightly.
3. Slowly whisk the reduced mixture into the egg yolk to temper the egg.
4. Place the butter in a large cup and microwave for 1 minute until it is melted. Very slowly drizzle the butter in the egg mixture while whisking constantly. Keep whisking for 30 seconds after butter is gone to get some more air into the mixture.
5. Place 1/2 inch of water in the same pan that you reduced the vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and place the bowl over the pan. Constantly whisk the egg mixture over the steaming water until the mixture thickens and until it firmly coats the back of a spoon.
6. Remove the bowl from the heat and add a few drops of lemon juice, a pinch of white pepper, a spot of tabasco, and a pinch of salt. Taste and adjust the seasonings accordingly.