Preparation Time: 20 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large Spanish or sweet onion, peeled and cut into strips
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound ground turkey, 85/15 blend
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
8 slices Gouda cheese
8 slices tomato
4 mini pretzel rolls
salt and fresh ground black pepper for seasoning
1. Place olive oil in a sauté pan and bring to medium high heat. Add onions and garlic and season lightly with salt and fresh ground pepper. Cook until onions are soft and translucent and they show a significant amount of browning. This may take 10-15 minutes. If the onions start getting a little burnt, turn the heat down to medium. Stir occasionally while cooking. Taste for final seasoning and adjust to your own taste. Set onions aside.
2. In a bowl place turkey, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Mix together and form into 8 thin patties of equal size.
3. Preheat a grill pan over medium high heat. Spray pan with non-stick spray and place patties on grill (this can be done in batches). Reduce heat to medium. Cook patties for about 5 minutes aside turning only once. Place a slice of Gouda cheese on each patty and put a cover over the grill pan (you can use foil). Continue to cook until cheese is fully melted. Remove and set aside.
4. Season tomatoes lightly with salt and pepper.
5. Place cut side of buns in grill pan for 30 seconds to toast the surface a bit.
6. Place bun bottoms on plate and stack two patties. Top with a tomato, grilled onions and the top of bun. Serve with condiments of your choice.