Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Ready after: 15 minutes
- 8 slices golden wheat bread, hand sliced
- 2 cups asiago cheese, grated
- 2 cups Gouda cheese, Shredded
- 1/2 baguette sourdough bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (or fresh rosemary and thyme)
- 2 whole eggs, beaten
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Take sourdough bread cubes and Italian seasoning and place it in a food processor with a blade attachment. Process until crumbs are coarse and consistent.
- Lay out all 8 slices of bread in front of you on a counter or cutting board. Take each slice of bread and brush liberally on one surface the egg wash. Take bread crumbs and distribute them on top of bread slices and press into eggs wash gently but firmly. with you hands.
- Carefully turn half the slices over using a spatula. Mound a mixture of both cheeses in the middle of the bread. Using a spatula take the other half of the bread and place it on top of the cheese with the crumbs side up. Gently press sandwich together to set crumbs one more time.
- Preheat a Teflon frying pan to medium high with butter and olive oil in pan. Once oil is heated, use your spatula an carefully place each sandwich in the pan. If bread is large you may have to do this in 2 batches. You can keep 2 in the oven on warm while the last two are getting done.
- Cook until crispy and brown. Then carefully flip them over and cook the other side the same way. Remove from pan and slice on a bias.