Preparation Time: 45 minutes
1 1/2 pounds red skin potato, small dice
2 ounces butter
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 pounds corned beef, cooked and sliced thin
9 whole eggs
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
chopped parsley for garnish
1. Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender. Drain water and place pan in a 250 degree oven for 10 minutes to dry out the potatoes.
2. While potatoes are cooking, place butter in a small sauce pan on medium low heat. Add garlic and cook for 5 minutes. If garlic starts to turn brown stop cooking. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Place cooked potatoes in a large bowl. Mash the potatoes. Do not over-mash, it’s ok if there are some chunks. Do not place in a mixer.
4. Add the butter and mash some more. Place the cream in a glass and heat it in the microwave for 45 seconds. Pour the cream on the potatoes and stir to incorporate.
5. Season to taste with salt and fresh ground pepper. Don’t be surprised if it takes a bit of salt to get the best flavor.
6. In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat and sauté corned beef until hot and crispy on the edges.
7. In a small bowl or cup whip one of the eggs for 30 seconds with a fork. In a large bowl combine the potatoes, the corned beef and the whipped egg. Fold together gently to incorporate. Form mixture into patties and refrigerate. These can be made a day ahead.
8. In a large frying pan bring 2 inches of water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Crack each egg carefully into the water so not to break the yolk (cracking the egg into a small cup first helps). Do not overcrowd the pan, this can be done in 2 batches. Taking a spoon, gently baste the eggs until the whites are firm but the yolk is still soft. Using a slotted spoon remove the eggs and place in an ice bath. Keep water to reheat eggs. (Eggs can be made ahead of time as well using this method).
9. Place 2 tablespoons of butter in a large pan over medium high heat. Place patties in pan and cook until crispy and slightly browned on both sides. Remove to a plate. Place the eggs back in the hot poaching liquid for 1 minute to reheat then place on top of the patties. Garnish with parsley.