Preparation Time: 30 minutes
1/2 loaf white bread, high quality
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup coconut
1 cup flour
3 large eggs
1 1/2 pounds 21-25 count shrimp, peeled (tail can be left on)
1 jar apricot jelly or preserves
1 jar plum jelly or preserves (pitted), canned prunes can be substituted
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1/2 inch oil for frying, in bottom of pan or use deep fryer
1. Place bread in food processor along with cayenne pepper and process into coarse bread crumbs. Stir in coconut.
2. Place bread crumbs mixture, flour and eggs into separate dredging bowls. Whisk eggs with fork. Season each with salt.
3. Arrange dredging containers in a row starting with flour, then eggs, bread crumbs and a large plate to store breaded shrimp. Shrimp can be breaded up to 24 hours in advance and kept refrigerated.
4. Dredge each shrimp in flour first, then egg wash, then bread crumbs. Apply pressure to coating during bread crumb stage to ensure full coating. Use one hand to pick up raw shrimp and coat eggs while using the other hand as a dry hand to coat with flour and breadcrumbs to limit buildup of breading on your hands.
5. Fry shrimp until golden brown in oil. Drain on paper towels and season lightly with salt.
6. Place jams or preserves, pineapple and horseradish in food processor and process until ingredients are fully mixed together.
7. Place in dipping bowl and arrange in center of platter surrounded by delicious shrimp.