Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Ready after: 60 minutes
Difficulty Level: 3
Source: Five Star Cooking at Home
- 4 oz. bacon, diced
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup fennel bulbs(white part), finely chopped
- 2 cups corn, cut off the cob
- 2 Tbsp garlic clove, crushed and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 large tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
- 6 cups seafood stock (chicken stock can be substituted)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup basil, chopped
- 2 lbs. shrimp, 31-40 count, peeled and deveined
- 1 lbs. sea scallops, halved with tough part of muscle removed
- 1 lbs. lump crab meat
- 1 lbs. mussels, debearded (optional)
- In a large dutch oven style pan render bacon until crispy over medium heat. Remove bacon, drain on paper towel, and set aside.
- Discard half of the fat. Add onion, fennel, corn, and garlic. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are soft and browned(be patient, you may have to turn heat to medium low) . Scrape bottom of pan frequently to remove carmelized starch from corn. Keep doing this, it develops the sweetness of the corn.
- Add basil, tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and olive oil to the pan. Season again lightly with salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes on medium heat or until tomatoes have broken down into a sauce. Add seafood stock and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add seafood and bacon to the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with croutons for garlic bread.