Preparation Time: 30 minutes
1/4 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons Paul Prudhomme’s Redfish Magic
1 pound calamari, cleaned and cut into thin rings
oil for deep frying
sea salt for sprinkling
8 ounces mesclun or other mild salad greens
1 cup carrots, match sticks
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, roasted and shelled
1. Preheat fryer to 350 degrees or a pan with oil on medium high heat.
2. Place all your dressing ingredients in a small bowl except for the oil and whisk together to incorporate. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking aggressively. Set aside.
3. Place flour and seasoning in a large bowl and mix together with a fork.
4. Put calamari in flour mixture and toss thoroughly to coat. Let sit in flour for 5 minutes.
5. Lift calamari out of flour and lightly shake to remove excess flour. Drop calamari carefully into hot oil. (Place it close to the surface of the oil before letting go so you don’t have a big splash. This can also be done with tongs.) Fry calamai until slightly brown and crispy. Remove from oil and place on a plate lined with paper towel. Season immediately with a pinch of sea salt.
6. In a large bowl place salad greens, carrots and half of your pumpkin seeds and toss together. Add half your dressing and toss. Taste the salad and add more dressing to taste.
7. Plate salad. Top with calamari and the rest of the pumpkin seeds.