Preparation Time: 2 1/2 hours
4 pounds boneless beef short ribs, trimmed of all fat
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups onion, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic clove, finely chopped
2 cups carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch slices
1 pound button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced in half
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (or fresh rosemary and thyme)
1 bottle beer
1 cup chicken stock, bouillon or broth
1 cup water
1/4 cup flour
salt and pepper
8 8-inch pretzel bun sub rolls
8 whole lettuce leaves
1 cup horseradish sauce
1. Season beef thoroughly with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat a large Dutch oven style pot or pan over medium high heat for 5 minutes. Place 4 tablespoons of olive oil in pan for 30 seconds.
3. In batches (do not crowd pan or meat will steam, not sear) sear meat until very crispy and brown on both cut sides. Remove from pot and set aside.
4. Place onions, garlic and carrots in pan and cook until translucent. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
5. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, mushrooms and Italian seasoning (or three stems of thyme and one stem of rosemary) to pan. Cook until mushrooms have shrunk and are tender.
6. Add beef back into pan. Add beer and stock. Bring pan to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cover and let cook for 2 1/2 hours.
7. Thoroughly stir water and flour together to form a slurry. Remove cover from pan. Increase heat to medium high and add slurry mixture. Bring mixture to a boil while gently stirring pot to let slurry slightly thicken the sauce. Turn off heat and taste for seasoning with salt and pepper.
8. Slice open the Pretzel bun and toast it on a grill pan or on a grill.
9. Add a layer of salad leaves on bottom of the bun. Break some of the short ribs into smaller pieces with a fork. Pile it on the sub bun heavy. Top it with the horseradish sauce.