Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 90 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
- 5 large baking potatoes baked and slightly cooled
- 3 pounds beef stew meat
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 pound button mushrooms, halved
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 4 springs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
1. Season stewing meat with salt and pepper. Dredge beef in flour until lightly coated.
2. Preheat large Dutch oven-style pan on medium high heat. Place oil in pan and let heat for 1 minute. Put beef in pan and brown on all sides. Do not crowd pan; cook in batches. Remove from pan and set aside. Turn heat down to medium.
3. Place onions, carrots, mushrooms and garlic in same pan and cook until onions are translucent. Add rosemary, thyme, mustard and bay leaf. Let cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes.
4. Add wine and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove lid and check for desired thickness. If you prefer thicker sauce, turn heat back up to medium and reduce for 15 minutes or you have achieved desired thickness.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Place each potato on a plate. Slice potatoes length-wise about half way though the potato. Open up potato and spoon beef stew over each one.