Servings: 8 Total Cooking Time: 3:00
4 Tbsp olive oil
4 lbs. boneless beef short ribs, trimmed of all fat
1 cup red wine
2 cups onion chopped
1 Tbsp garlic clove, finely chopped
2 cups carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch slices
1 cup celery, chopped fine
1 Tbsp. fresh oregano leaves for garnish
2 Tbsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 cup chicken stock, bouillon or broth
2 Tbsp. arrowroot or cornstarch
water to boil noodles
1 lbs. spinach pasta sheets, cut into irregular rag strips
salt and pepper
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (Reggiano if available)
1. Season beef thoroughly with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat a large Dutch oven style pot or pan over medium high heat for 5
minutes. Place 2 Tbsp. of olive oil in pan for 30 seconds.
3. In batches (do not crowd pan or meat will steam not sear) sear meat until
very brown on both cut sides. Remove from pot and set aside.
4. Place onions, celery, garlic, fresh herbs and carrots in pan and cook
until translucent. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
5. Add tomato paste to pan and stir to evenly distribute. Continue stirring
and cook for 5 minutes until tomato paste has started to brown and paste has
formed a fond in the bottom of the pan. Continue to stir and scrape bottom
of pan with a wooden spoon.
6. Add beef back into pan. Add wine and stock. Bring pan to a boil and
reduce to simmer. Cover and let cook for 2 1/2 hours.
7. Thoroughly stir water and arrowroot together to form a slurry. Remove
cover from pan. Increase heat to medium high and add slurry mixture. Bring
mixture to a boil while gently stirring pot to let slurry slightly thicken
the sauce. Turn off heat and taste for seasoning with salt and pepper.
Using 2 forks, pull meat apart into pulled style meat. Cover and set aside.
8. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add noodles and cook until
al dante. Drain noodle and add them to the meat ragout. Stir and bring to
a simmer over medium low heat. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
9. Serve topped with parmesan cheese.