Preparation Time: 15 minutes
1 pound salmon fillets, cut into 4 portions
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
1 whole chipolte pepper, in adobe sauce, chopped
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
4 slices pineapple, peeled, cut into rings and cored
4 leaves lettuce, for garnish
8 slices sourdough bread, slightly toasted
1. Preheat a grill pan on high heat.
2. Preheat the oven broiler on high heat.
3. Brush salmon filets with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Place salmon in the hot pan with the surface you’re going to see on the plate going down first. Cook salmon until its seared and the grill marks are crispy. Turn the fish over and cook for 3 more minutes.
5. While the fish is cooking prepare your barbecue sauce. Put the ketchup, honey, ancho chili powder, chipotle pepper and vinegar in a food processor and process until smooth.
6. Brush the fish with a heavy layer of the barbecue sauce. Reserve the rest for another use.
7. Place fish under broiler until the barbecue sauce cooks into a glaze. Remove from oven and place salmon on a warm plate.
8. Place pineapple in grill pan and cook it until it has nice grill marks on both sides.
9. Place salmon filet on a slice of sourdough along with lettuce and grilled pineapple. Top with second slice of bread.