- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces button mushrooms sliced thin
- 1/4 cup cooked bacon, rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, (or 1/2 dry)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup bread, cubed
- 1/2 cup really good chicken broth
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 whole roasting chicken
- 1 whole peeled onion, rough chop
- 1 stalk celery, rough chop
- 2 large carrots, rough chop
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Melt butter over medium heat in saute pan. Add onions and garlic and saute until onions are translucent. Add mushrooms, thyme and bacon and continue cooking until mushrooms are very soft, stirring occasionally. Add bread and stir aggressively. Cook for 3 minutes. Add stock and stir aggressively again. Stir in feta cheese and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. Brush chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
3. Stuff chicken with stuffing mixture and truss chicken with butcher string (or a least tie legs together to hold stuffing in).
4. Bake for 50 minutes or until your temperature of choice.